Gastroenterology - Institute
The Gastroenterology Institute of the Tel Aviv Medical Center, the largest of its kind in Israel, provides a complete complement of services and clinics for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of a broad range of digestive system conditions. Renowned for its unique leading-edge medical services, the Institute provides the professional care and personal attention patients need on the road to recovery.
Primary services and institute specialties
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and digestive motility disorders: Clinic IBS service; multidisciplinary clinic for pelvic diaphragm, urogynecology, and proctologic surgery; multidisciplinary clinic for swallowing disorders; chronic heartburn clinic; chronic stomachache clinic; and laboratory for digestive motility
- Clinic for comprehensive gastroenterology: General digestive system disorders; evaluation and treatment of challenging cases.
- Fatty liver disease: The only clinic in the country dedicated to fatty liver disease not related to alcohol consumption; multidisciplinary approach which includes clinical nutrition, pathology, radiology, endocrinology, and lipids.
- Clinic for bowel disorders: Diagnosis, consulting, and treating intestinal and gallbladder disorders.
- Liver unit: Consulting and treatment for the range of liver diseases and follow-up care for liver transplant patients.
- Digestive system tumors: Characterization of patients who are at high risk for tumors, including a program for diagnosis and follow-up. Consulting services categorize patients based on the medical classification for average-risk versus high-risk populations. Individuals or family members with elevated risk are referred to be assessed for possible genetic syndromes.
- Service for inflammatory intestine disorders: Treatment for inflammatory illnesses, such as Crohn’s disease and colitis; diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up for inflammatory GI disorders; nutritional consultation, social work, or psychological assistance; and participation in support groups.
- Pediatric gastroenterology: Diagnosis and treatment of liver disease, and digestive, intestinal, and pancreatic disorders; and nutrition deficits in children from newborn through adolescence.
- Invasive gastroenterology: Invasive testing of the digestive system to diagnose and treat illnesses and tumors; invasive procedures that enable the treatment of a range of illnesses, including ulcers, polyps, and stones; treatment of constipation due to hemorrhaging; endoscopic resection as a treatment for tumors.
- Pancreas clinic and endoscopic ultrasound (EUS): Procedures for diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic disorders.
- Clinical nutrition: Diagnostic testing, consulting, treatment, and follow-up for patients suffering from nutrition problems such as digestive disorders; follow-up and consultation for esophageal or stomach surgery; consulting on obesity; treatment and follow-up for patients receiving intravenous nutrients for medical reasons; nutritional consulting for children with cleft palates or lips; cancer patient consultation; treatment for eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia; digestive system catheterization for swallowing problems, or esophageal or intestinal blockages.
- Obesity clinic: Multidisciplinary care including nutritional evaluation, nutritional instruction, physical activity, and group therapy; medication prescription when necessary; gastric balloon insertion or surgery based on the patient’s needs and preferences.
- Endoscopy service: Endoscopic testing, including gastroscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, endoscopy of the bowel and pancreas (ERCP), balloon endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), advanced endoscopy, imaging-enhanced endoscopy, confocal endoscopy, and chromoendoscopy.
Among the specialty procedures performed by expert gastroenterologists at TASMC are:
- Balloon-assisted enteroscopy
- ERCP – endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Video capsule endoscopy
- Confocal endomicroscopy
- Esophageal dilatation
Clinical treatment units include:
- Tumors of the digestive system
- Comprehensive gastroenterology
- Invasive gastroenterology
- Gastrointestinal disorders – functional and motility
- Liver care
- Pancreas and endoscopic ultrasound
- Bile duct conditions
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Clinical nutrition
Ongoing international clinical and scientific research studies are an essential Institute pursuit that help advance the treatment of gastrointestinal and liver diseases.
- Basic scientific research
- Absorption laboratory
- Helicobacter laboratory
- Bodily fluid laboratory
- The lab for digestive system motility
- Nutrition lab